Five Key Steps to Improve your Chipping
1. Don't be too squared:
Similarly to the pitch shot, to perform an efficient chipping shot you have to position your feet left to the target, see picture below:
Tip: the only exception is for long chipping shots, for which you want to be squared !
Wedge set
2. Always keep the hands before the ball:
3. Position the ball a bit backward:

You have to position the ball nearer to your left foot. It is the exact contrary of the pitching positioning. See the sketch below:
THE fundamental step in order to ensure a correct impact is that the grip of the golf club (i.e. your hands) stays in front of the clubface (i.e. the ball) as you strike the shot, never behind. It is very easy to check if you are doing this shot right: just check your left wrist at the finish, if it is bent you did it wrong !!!                                        

Tip: while in the pitch the legs are dead, in the chip it are the hands which should be dead (while the legs may slightly move in an accompanying movement).
Tip: Narrow your stance compared to a pitching shot or to a normal swing

4. Read it, Roll it, Hole it..:

Very much like putting, chipping requires a reading of the shot as - in a good chip - the ball flyes for 20% of the time and rolls for the remaining 80% (while in pitching, the ball should fly for 80% and roll only for 20%). Hence, reading the green (and the before-green) is a paramount. And remember the ball should land on the green without backspin and just roll - smoothly - towards the hole.

Tip: What is the most common mistake in chipping? Raising your head (or your shoulder) at impact. This will make you loose the "level" of the shot with the consequence that the bottom of the club will hit the ball earlier than the loft causing a "fat" shot!!!

5. Accelerate through the shot:

To provide the right roll, your chipping shot does not require a long backswing but rather a light - though evident - acceleration when hitting the ball.

Tip: After the impact, keep your eyes still focus on that point (don't look immediately to the shot trajectory as this will undermine the proper chipping movement).

See also:
- Chipping vs. Putting: tips on when to chip versus putting.

- Books on how to improve your short game

- Two Club Chipping: tips on which clubs to choose for your chipping and how to adapt your chipping shot in low cut grass and high grass.
- The One Chipping Tip Every Golfer Should Know
Chip shots are vital to lowering your golf score. Here's one tip every serious player needs to follow.

and also:

- How to become a better scorer at golf, i.e. how to get the most out of your current game by using the right strategy.
- Mental approach for better golf: how to get the most out of your current game by improving your mental game; the psychology of golf is probably one of the most overlooked parts in this game
- Physics of the golf shot: a better understanding of the dynamics behind the golf shot and the concepts of loft and backspin will help you to more accurately hit the ball.
- Golf practice
and weight training: tips to train your flexibility, balance, strength and endurance and tricks to maintain your form during the golf's off-season.
Home > Golf tips > Improve your game> imporve your chipping
Physics of the Golf Shot
Golf Rules
Golf Terminology
Golf Clubs Information
Golf Balls information
Golf Balls Reviews
Golf Tees information
Types of Golf Clubs

Types of Golf Balls
| Top Golf Courses | How to Play Golf | Golf Equipment | Golf Tips | Golf Fitness | Golf Lessons | Golf History | Golf Gifts ||
Golf Information Home
Related Articles


. 2005-2009 © All rights reserved. Photos by Brian Jenkin (chipping line) and Andrew Penner (golfer preparing for chipping shot).
| Golf Information Home | Common mistakes in golf | Women's Golf | Golf gift ideas | Golf balls reviews | Golf History | Golf Beginner tips | Golf rules |
Recommended books
Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf
by Ben Hogan

Improve your swing with one of the greatest golfers in the history of the sport.
More information
Putting Out of Your Mind
by Bob Rotella
The guru-cum-sports psychologist of choice among the world's top golfers will help you understand the rationale behind solid sustainable putting scoring
More information
Equipment Info
 3 Clubs Gun Metal
Wedge System
True Temper steel
Regular Flex Shafts
with all-weather grips

Best Quality/Price ratio Wedge set