A good knowledge of a golf ball's characteristics, such as compression, spin and distance can prove helpfull in enhancing your strengths and masking your weaknesses in the golf course.
Golf balls are probably the most overlooked piece of equipment, both by novice players and high to medium handicappers.
It is not unusual to see golfers spend several hundreds of dollars on a driver (though they often can't hit it at its performance level), while searching to save anything possible on golf balls. However, the physics of a golf shot is about materials absorbing energy and elastically returning it, involving both the club AND the golf ball.
See also: Golf ball faqs >>
Before making your own best choice, please note that:
1. Distance doesn't have to be hard.
2. Perfermance doesn't have to be expensive.
3. Tour golf balls are not the top choice for every player.
4. Accomplished players should select their golf balls in function of the type of weather and golfing conditions.
Home > Golf Equipment > Golf Balls
Noodle Golf Balls by Taylormade
All Noodle golf balls feature a soft-feeling, low compression, high-powered core delivering a high launch angle and low spin rate off the driver for maximum distance while still providing a smooth and soft feel off of every club.
There are three types of Noodle plus golf balls and one Noodle N series, each tailored to your specific needs: the Noodle + ED (Easy Distance) has been created for players with swing speeds less than 85 mph that are seeking increased ball speed and softer feel around the greens. It is designed to create long distance for slower swing speeds. The Long & Soft (see picture), a golf ball that stores and releases energy with extreme efficiency for fast off-the-face ball speed, yet with a remarkably soft feel. Then you have also the Noodle Plus Lady Golf balls and the Noodle N Series. Whichever Noodle you choose, expect exceptional distance and the remarkably soft feel that has made Noodle famous.
When choosing your golf balls, remember that:
1. 2-piece balls maximize distance and minimize spin. They are good for novice players.
2. with 3-piece performance balls you sacrifice a little distance off the tee but gain more control around the green.
3. 2-piece performance balls offer great length off the tee together with nearly the same characteristics of control of 3-piece performance balls.
4. 4-piece balls are recommended for low handicappers with faster swings and a perfect control of backspin. See: Golf ball facts >>
Whatever your choice, stick to it for a while to get used to it and develop some consistency in your play. However, if your game is fairly accurate, shooting in the 90s, it might make more sense to use different balls in function of the course and weather conditions. In that case, choose a performance ball for courses with very wide fairways and difficult greens. A low-spin two-piece ball is more suited to courses that feature narrow fairways and large, easy to approach greens.
Note that due to technological advances, the gap between 2- and 3-piece balls continues to narrow. See also: Golf ball facts >>
The Elements of Scoring
by Raymond Floyd
Learn what mistakes you can afford to make, how to play to your strengths and hide your weaknesses, and discover the ten mistakes amateurs make that pros never do.
Clicgear 2.0 Push Golf Cart
The most compact push cart in the industry.
Folds to 24" x 15" x 13"
Golf-information.info 2005-2011 © All rights reserved.
Srixon Soft Feel Golf Balls (Dozen)
The ideal ball for a smooth, slow and controlled swing.
The 333 dimple pattern and highly resilient Rabalon® Cover (25% more resilient than iomer), provides greater energy transfer for more velocity, providing more distance and better feel for players with a lower clubhead speed at impact, and low spin launch conditions for all golfers.
How To Select Golf Clubs: Choosing the Right Golf Irons
by Quick Easy Guides
Newton on the Tee:
A Good Walk Through the Science of Golf
by John Zumerchik
Wilson Staff Tx4
For players who demand the ultimate in workability, the 4-layer Tx4 fits the bill. With a PhD advanced dimple design, a Nano Tech core, and a Fusion layer, all systematically wrapped in a spin-inducing Urethane cover, the Tx4 performs so accurately, pins don't stand a chance.
Maxfli Noodle ICE Clear Cover Golf Balls:
- Clear surlyn cover and colored, high-optic core to promote consistently solid contact
- The unique optics created by Noodle Ice makes it easier to focus on the ball at address and easier to watch the ball in flight
- Fast, low-compression core for added distance and feel for all swing speeds
- 408-dimple pattern
- Two-piece construction combines icy-hot distance with snowflake-soft feel
- Each 12-ball pack consists of a sleeve of each color: lime, lemon, tangerine, and raspberry
Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf
by Ben Hogan
Improve your swing with one of the greatest golfers in the history of the sport.
There is also a "Karma" golf ball, meant to give Lady golfers good juju.
There have been many versions of the original Mojo golf ball (disco, Mojo II, etc.)
With its 2 piece construction and low compression core, this one promises:
- Maximum distance for golfers with average swing speeds
iGolf neo Pocketsize Golf GPS
A handy golf-course aid that automatically displays the distances to key points on any golf course in the world.
- Softened Ionomer cover delivers a crisp look with a soft touch
- Aero-efficient dimples pack a wallop of lift and turbulence
- Minimal compression, maximum action
- Flies off the driver, sticks to the wedge
The Nike One Tour Golf Ball picks up where the Nike One Platinum left off. 4-piece technology with a seamless urethane cover. The Nike One Tour offers Power Transfer Technology and is made to be the most complete ball you will ever use.
- Four piece design
- Seamless Urethane 378 dimple cover
- Inner Cover extends feel and workability
- Power Transfer Layer provides ulitmate distance and control no matter what iron you use. More information >>
Maxfli Black Max Golf Ball
The perfect choice for low handicappers (0 to 10).
A tour-caliber golf ball with FEEL.
Thanks to the new core design the ball stores and releases energy at impact resulting in high velocity off the clubface, yet soft feel at impact.
The firm, thin ionomer mantle offers minimum back-spin and maximum distance, while the ultra-thin cast thermoset urethane cover provides durability.
372 Dual-Radius dimple design promotes a ball flight that results in longer carry and longer roll. More information >>